Thursday, July 10, 2008

Arena Fatigue



Bar has been experiencing a bit of arena fatigue over the last week or so. Steve noticed it first on Sunday when Bar stopped dead on the way down the hill to the arena. Once they got into the arena, Bar tried for him, but was obviously not interested in working on the normal arena way, so when I got down there with Lena, we went down the road and out the bike trail. I think Bar would have kept walking forever. Well, for a longer time than we were out, anyway.

I worked him pretty lightly in the arena last night and while he was good for me, responsive and calm, he was not enthused. Then we walked down the driveway and I had to argue with him to turn around and head back to the barn. I swear he sighed. I promised him we'd go out at least once this weekend.



So today, Katie and I met at the barn and she took Bar out. We set up the jump and some side poles and she trotted him over them in circles, making him pay attention to his feet and keeping him entertained. She didn't work him very long, stopped when he was feeling good and happy, and we walked down the driveway. There was still a minor rebellion, but not as bad as yesterday.



I don't blame him at all. The arena work does get tedious and repetitious. It was really good for him to do something different today, and I think it will be good for all of us to get out on the trail again soon.

No comments: