Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Horses - Not for the Fashion Conscious



One of my favorite parts of the day is my morning stop at the barn to tend the horses. I grain them, pat them, do some carrot stretches with them, sometimes a little acupressure, too. This occasionally includes a battle with the elements.

Some days, as I dry and style my hair in front of the mirror in the bathroom, I stop to ask myself, "Why bother?" Even if it's not raining, often it's misty out and with my hair, the flatness takes only moments to happen. Mere moments.

Today, it was a little more than mist.

Why didn't I just head into the office? Skip the barn and maintain some semblance of dignity and good hair?

Ah, because of the way they smell, the warmth of their skin and their soft noses. I admit it, I'm hooked. Head over heels in love like I never got to be as a younger me, left to act out my horsiness with plastic models and my own two-legged gallop.

So, I end up a bedraggled, soggy, mess because that's what makes my day start out right, grounding me enough to face meetings and marketing plans with a smile on my face and an odd idea or two in my head.

It's worth it, even if I do occasionally look like a drowned rat the first 15 minutes at my desk. Even if it means I'll never be a high-powered, fashionable executive with good hair.

No comments: