Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The First Show


I apologize for being MIA. I've been very busy lately with work and have been traveling a lot and am just now getting back into the swing of things before I take off again!
Willoughby and I competed in our first show together two weekends ago!! We had a blast! I'll try to get a video up from one of my tests later this week!
It's been about 2 1/2 years since I competed with Fenway so I was really nervous but also really excited to be there.
DAY 1
Poor Willoughby had the week prior to the show off (great timing, I know) because I was gone working the Maker Faire which isn't that far off from a horse show - long days, big/late dinners, early mornings, lots of walking, lots of adrenaline. I made sure not to enter any tests the day we arrived. We met the crew - Ellen & Leo, Katey A & Andy, Susan & Money Penny, Eva and Final, and settled into our barn aisle. Then we had a lesson with Ellen and rode in all the different arenas.
My friend Sarah drove over to visit, which was really nice, and then witnessed me momentarily loosing my sanity when I couldn't find my truck keys anywhere!! We finally found them in my purse (even though we both searched my purse multiple times) after I had already placed a call into TripleAAA.
DAY 2:
We got our first test over with! I held my breath the whole time! We were showing in the polo arena, which was isolated from all the other arenas and horses. Willoughby was an outstanding citizen but I think he was holding his breath the whole time too!
A highlight of the day was having my Dad surprise us by showing up to watch!!
Day 3:
Highlight of the day - Odie walked up in the morning, surprising me! She drove 3 hours to come watch us!! And then Ryan came to watch too! There's nothing better than be surrounded by all your favorite people and pets! I know it sounds cheesy but it's the truth!
The first test of the day was excellent and I was very happy with the score. We had some baby bobbles but I felt that I actually rode the test instead of holding my breath! The last test of the day was a pooper and it doesn't count in my book because I think we were both tired and our warm-up was incredible so I'll pick my battles!
Overall -
The tests that I rode, first level test 3 &4, were a bit challenging for us because our canter is a little unbalanced and weak. We need work in this dept! But I was so pleased with his demeanor and work ethic. I enjoyed putting on my show clothes again, braiding, spending time with my horse, and visiting with all my friends! I can't wait until the next show - Pebble Beach in July!

1 comment:

Rising Rainbow said...

Congrats on your first show. Braiding is my least favorite thing to do at a horse show. lol