Saturday, November 19, 2011

Good rides


Along this journey, I've learned many, many things from a lot of different people. I've also watched countless videos and read a ton of books and websites, sucked in so much data my brain is losing it faster than it ever came in.

But the people have really been key.

More friends than I can count--both local and via the blogosphere--have offered support and advice, or just reminders of how far Calabar and I have come and to keep at it. Peter has helped me rebuild my confidence and get back on my horse. Ike and Cheri have been there to encourage and support me, plus taught Calabar he could meet cows with bravery and a beautiful, arched neck. Ellen offered some simple concepts that helped me reconnect with my horse and my own body. 

And much of it simply comes down to getting back in the saddle.

I didn't have enough rides this week, but they were good rides--quality over quantity will have to do for now. Calabar and I did more work at the walk--his big swinging walk is back and I'm doing a better and better job feeling and moving with his front feet. At the walk, anyway. We are still working on the trot, but that is my theme song. (Something like, "Someday the trot will come...")

However, we did have some good luck with turns by using the same principals Ellen talked about. Think about me being the one doing the walking, what would my body do and try to feel it in him. If it were me, I would hold that inside foot still (or shorten the stride), lengthen the "stride" of the outside leg. Lo and behold, it worked!

So cool!!

People and horses have both taught me a lot, and I treasure every lesson--even the hard ones.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice . . . that's how it comes best, slowly and with gratitude. I'm a big fan of doing exercises "with" the horse, where I feel in my own body (and do it very subtly) what I want the horse to do.

Grey Horse Matters said...

I think you're both doing great work. I'm a big fan of getting it all together at the walk before moving on to "someday my trot will come." I think Dusty and I must have walked for months until she (and I) figured out what the other wanted/needed to move on. You and Calabar have come far.

Dave (aka Buckskins Rule) said...

I'm sure that your renewed confidence is key to Bar's success. At the end of the day, I realize how little I know about horses, but I have learned that most of them react very strongly to the emotional state of the rider.

You may not realize this, but you are very inspirational in your horse journey. Those of weaker constitution would have capitulated long ago, but you have not relinquished your determination. I've never met Bar, but I'm inclined to believe that he is a good horse, and that you are the rider who will bring out the best in him.