Thursday, March 17, 2011

Vet day tomorrow and minor correction

We have vaccines and a once-over scheduled for the ponies tomorrow. I'm sure they'll be thrilled.

"Oh, yeah! West Nile and Rabies, our favorite!" I suspect it's better, however, than the intra-nasal flue vaccine they get in the fall.

Dr. Leslie is also doing a wellness exam--a check of the basics, weight, heart, feet, etc.--something she's trying out with her clients this year.

We decided to opt in for this for a couple of reasons. One, because the reason we have always had our vet do our vaccines is because she catches things we might miss. Two, I think you need to pay your vet for their time and not just pile on the questions when they are there to do something else. Really, I'm just selfish. I don't want to find another vet so I want to keep Leslie in business as long as possible.

I am fairly certain all the horses are healthy as, well, horses. Forrest is a little underweight and Bar perpetually needs his teeth done, but little prevention is a lot better than a midnight phone call when it all goes wrong. My other not-so-secret goal is to hear Bar's heart. Last time Leslie listened to it, she said you could hear an extra beat because his heart is so big. I just about cried right then and there.

Bar is scheduled for his teeth next Friday. He might still be speaking to me after that, but it will take lots of treats and many fewer missed barn nights.

Oh, and the correction (as kindly pointed out by Joan at Cowboy and Dexter's Excellent Adventures) was to Kathleen's age the day of Bar's win in November of 2003. She was thirteen. Not three. Thirteen. I slipped a decade, apparently.

Oddly enough, it was that very year--her 13th--that we chose a Christmas present of Slide Mountain Ranch because we couldn't figure out anything else more suitable.

Funny how the path of a racehorse careened right into the path of a future horse-crazy woman.

1 comment:

Grey Horse Matters said...

As the old saying goes " an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

We're getting ready for vaccinations ourselves. Sounds like they have a good vet.