Friday, December 07, 2007

Windy, cool days

It was beautiful here in Northern California today, the sun shining after a couple days of rain, the air clean, clear and crisp, the wind making the trees dance and drop things from their branches. A perfect fall day.

Unless you wanted your horse to actually pay attention to you, that is.

Horses seem to get goofy on days like today. Heads up, looking around at whatever it is they sense on the wind, racing around pastures, bucking, and generally dancing around like the wind itself is under their hooves.

Lena is no exception and did her very best to remind me that as good as she is most days, she's still a horse and a young horse at that. We danced up and down the driveway after working in the indoor arena, me doing my best to remind her I was indeed still up there on her back. There was much blowing and snorting, though for the life of me I didn't see anything resembling a mountain lion anywhere.

I'd like to say I had some vague control, but some days there really is no such thing - only how well you can ride the wind with them.

No comments: