Sunday, January 24, 2010

Horses and schedules

Horses like schedules. They like routine, like to know what to expect on a daily basis--especially where food and exercise are concerned.

This does not mean, however, they will follow your training schedule--at least not as you envision it. It also does not mean that life will line things up perfectly and allow you the optimum training schedule.

Retired Racehorse recently posted about this very subject, and her words and thoughts struck a chord with me.

Well, more than one, actually.

First off, patience is (of course) a key ingredient in horse/owner training. It takes time to be sure you are listening to the horse and not merely focusing on some goal you want for your own reasons. Neither Bar or Lena care about my goals, they only care about how what I'm asking fits into their little horsey bubble.

Second, that life can occasionally get in the way and it's best to figure ways to deal with that and move forward anyway. Sometimes it's work-related; right now it's personal. It really doesn't matter to the horses, aside from the fact that they notice--and therefore try to take advantage of--my distraction level.

The biggest lesson for me is to breathe. Do what I can on a day-to-day basis, stay focused, and give back whatever I can whenever I can.

Works with horses, works with life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit that I used to let my "real life" schedule make me crazy, because it didn't let me keep my riding schedule where I wanted it. But the mare didn't care. She really just wanted to eat hay and hang out with her buddies. Sobering!

Thanks for the shout-out!
Natalie