Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Saying goodbye

My blog is mostly about horses and how they impact my life, what I learn from them, and how much joy (and sometimes frustration) they bring me. The journeys we've all had together have done much to shape my life over the last four and half years.

My father had a lot to do with shaping the 37 years that came BH (Before Horses), and he is dying. Details don't matter, not really. I have no regrets--except losing him, of course--nor do I feel as if there is anything I should have done, could have done, etc.

But I will miss him. His string joke ("I'm a frayed knot) and his bad puns. His uncanny ability to make anyone comfortable within minutes. His voracious appetite for the written word, be it books, magazines, online articles, newspapers--you name it, he read it.

Including, apparently, this blog.

Not too long ago, Dad told me, "I really like reading your blog." I don't know if he liked the writing or just the little window into my admittedly horse-obsessed life, but I'm glad he enjoyed it.

Reading and writing are gifts that he nurtured in me, and both have served me well over the years--if only as an outlet for horse-related musings in this case.

I love you, Daddy. Thank you.

3 comments:

Dane Jane said...

Jess, I am so sorry. Stay strong and I'll be sending my thoughts your way.

Adrienne said...

He will be sorely missed.

Anonymous said...

Very sorry - he sounds like a wonderful man.