Saturday, May 22, 2010

Should be obvious



Steve and I were wandering through Golden Gate Park today and naturally (okay, with some persistence on my part) found our way to the SFPD stables at the Polo fields.

As we were leaving, having patted a couple noses and scratched an ear or two, I saw the above sign and couldn't resist a photo. It reads, "If you aren't willing to take the risk don't get up on the horse."

Seems like a no-brainer, right? Unfortunately for horse-related businesses, most folks don't see horseback riding that way--or life in general for that matter.

There are definitely things you can do to make yourself safer, no doubt about it. But that risk is always there and it's part of the deal you make when you choose to ride. Just stepping off the curb offers its own set of risks, too so wrapping oneself in bubble wrap hardly seems like a solution.

Will I make sure my arm is mostly healed before I ride? Yes. Will I pay more attention when I get back on again? Yes. Will I ride again? Absolutely.

Life is short and I surely don't want to get to the end and realize there are things left undone. Or at least things I haven't done out of fear. As Garth Brooks' says, "It's better than pushing up daisies."

No comments: